If you want a delicious and impressive looking dessert that isn’t hard to make, well you have come to the right blog post.
I saw something on pinterest that inspired this. The pin involved apples, ice cream, and caramel. Not much room for that combo to disappoint the taste buds. The one thing I didn’t like about what I saw was that they were raw apples. Now I know this is odd, I don’t like apple pie, I don’t like a tone of apples in my apple crisp, but I do like baked apples. I know I am strange, but it’s ok. I’ve come to terms with that fact. So I investigated and found out how to make baked apples. And this is the result:
What you need:
- Apples- 1 per person (bigger is better because there is a bigger hole in the middle for filling with ice cream)
- Brown sugar- (see narrative for measurement)
- Butter (no more than a couple of table spoons)
- Vanilla ice cream
- Caramel ice cream topping
- Hot water
- Baking Pan
What to do:
- So first you are going to want to preheat your oven to 375° F.
- You want to core your apples. I don’t have a corer, a slicer, but no corer. So What I did was cut off the tops and then use a spoon to scoop out the middle. I think that this honestly works better though because you get to carve out a better “bowl” for your ice cream later.
- Not mix the brown sugar and cinnamon. I used about 1/3 cup of brown sugar for 4 apples. This measurement depends on the size of your apples and on how many you are making. Cinnamon, I would say I used a teaspoon. I love cinnamon, so I never measure it, I just go for it.
- Now you are going to want to fill your apples with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Once they are filled you put a little pat of butter, so about a teaspoon, on top of each apple.
- Cover the bottom of your baking pan with hot water.
- Place the apples in the pan and bake for 30 minutes.
What I did was, once the apples cooled some, put the apple in a bowl and dump the delicious brown sugar juice mixture that formed in the middle out into the bowl. I then rolled the apple around to get that brown sugar goodness all over the apple. Next shove a scoop of ice cream into the apple, you are probably going to have to use your fingers a bit. Now top them with caramel sauce- Heat it up, drizzle, pour… however you like.
Tu-duh!!! You have a beautiful and delicious dessert. Now if you or the person you are serving this to are a little challenged with a knife and a spoon then I would cut the apples up before topping and serving. Not as pretty, but at least you will get to enjoy their flavor free from the frustration of cutting them.