One of Will and I’s favorite meals to make is Lettuce Wraps. I don’t know if you have ever had them as an appetizer at PF Changs, but once you have, them your taste buds swoon, and you fall in love. So we found the recipe on pinterest and here is the link to the original poster.
The original recipe says it serves 2-3; I would say that it definitely serves 3. If you serve it with rice (we prefer to make fried rice to go with it) then it feeds a lot more. When we do that we get a very filling dinner for both of us, and three lunch servings.
As a warning, these sound like a lot of work, but it really isn’t bad, especially after you have done it a time or two. AND they are so good; they are worth it.
1lb ground chicken breast
1/2 onion – diced small
salt & pepper
2 garlic cloves – minced
1″of ginger – peeled & minced
3 green onions – chopped
1 4oz can sliced water chestnuts – drained & chopped
1/4 cup peanuts – chopped
large outer lettuce leaves – for using as the wrap shell
For the Sauce:
2-1/2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
1 Tablespoon peanut butter
1/2 Tablespoon water
1/2 Tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce (or more if you like it hotter)
1) First chop up everything that needs to be chopped up- it will make your life easier. Not everything Goes in at the same time, but here is how you can group them together:
- Ginger and Garlic
- Green Onions and Water Chestnuts
2) Once you have everything ready to go, put all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and microwave it for a few seconds to get the peanut butter melted. Mix it all up so that it is a nice smooth sauce.
3) Now that your ingredients are ready it is time to get the skillet going over high heat. Once it is heated up add chicken, onion, and some salt and pepper.
4) Make sure that as the chicken cooks you are chopping it up into little pieces and not leaving it in big clumps.
5) Once the chicken has started to cook and isn’t pink anymore add your garlic and ginger.
6) When the chicken is thoroughly cooked add in the sauce and mix it really good. At this point you also add the green onions and water chestnuts. And cook for a couple minutes longer till the chestnuts are warm and the green onions are softened up.
7) Turn the heat off and mix in the chopped peanuts.
8) To eat, take a nice big piece of lettuce and scoop the chicken mixture into it, wrap it up like a burrito, and enjoy! I am telling you, you will get addicted