I hope that at some point in your life you have had the pleasure of a breakfast melting in your mouth as you get the most delectable tasting sticky glaze on your fingertips and face- if you haven’t you need to make yourself some Monkey Bread (you might know it as Sticky Buns). Monkey Bread is like Dessert and Breakfast’s crack addicted love child. Maybe I am coming on too strong about this, but when you combine that much butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, and butterscotch I don’t know how you can feel anything other than taste bud shattering bliss.
Ok. Now take that aroma and taste and attach it to a granola bar. Yep. Hiker’s afternoon delight right there! Like all good kitchen adventures, I started with a recipe I had never made before and changed it some. Here is the original No Bake Maple Chocolate Cinnamon Granola Bars recipe.
And here is my adapted version that turned into something that made our kitchen smell like Bread for two days!
1 ½ cup rolled oats
¾ cup rice krispie cereal
¾ cup Captain Crunch Cereal
¼ cup cocoa powder
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup Butterscotch chips
¼ cup mini chocolate chips
1) In a large bowl, mix the oats, rice kipsies, and cocoa powder.
2) In a small saucepan on the stove bring the brown sugar, maple syrup, and butter to a boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Make sure to boil them long enough. I would say 2 minutes.
3) Pour over the oat mixture and gently stir until well combined. Add the chocolate and butterscotch chips.
4) Press into a greased, wax paper lined 9×9″ pan and let cool completely before cutting into bars.
5)Put bars into individual snack bags for storing.
6) Smell them, taste them, and see how long they last…. It won’t be long till you’re at your stove again!