Welcome to this week’s edition of Munchie Monday. Today I want to teach you my basic Fried Rice recipe of “Spicy Fry Rye” as we call it.
This is a quick and tasty go to for us (it was mentioned in the time saving recipes post from last week). A lot of time’s I’ll make a big wok full of this flavorful goodness and it will be our lunches for the next couple of days. It makes a good dinner too if you add some shredded chicken. Another virtue of the fried rice (besides getting your nostrils cleaned out) is that it keeps really well. Just put it in a sealed contained in the fridge and it will last for days.
This is the base of the recipe. To this you can add whatever you want like shredded carrots, chopped up spinach, edamame, shredded chicken, green beans, asparagus, zucchini, broccoli, mushrooms, peppers… basically anything you have in your fridge.
This fried rice really does have a kick to it, so if you don’t like spicy, just don’t add the crushed red pepper and everything will be A OK!
We don’t typically eat this with stir fry, but we ALWAYS serve it with our lettuce wraps. =) L:ike we did for our friend Andrea who came over for dinner last night! It’s always fun to cook for someone and share a meal with a friend. Makes tasty food taste even better!
- 2 cups of cooked rice (preferably that has set in the fridge for a while or overnight)
- 1-2 Tbsp Oil
- 2 green onions (sometimes I don’t have these and it’s fine)
- ½ onion (yellow or white, I have never used purple, but I imagine it would taste fine)
- 1 inch knob of ginger (it will turn out fine if you don’t have this)
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil (it will be fine without this if you don’t have it on hand)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 egg
- Chop of the vegetables. Keep the green part of the green onions separate to add at the end.
- Beat the egg and cook it like scrambled eggs and set aside for later.
- In a skillet or a wok heat the oil and add the onion, whites of the green onion, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes.
- Once these are starting to brown dump in your rice and stir it all up.
- Now add the pepper, garlic powder, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Mix it thoroughly. Add more soy sauce or seasoning if you think it needs it.
- Now add any your other veggies and let it cook till they are heated through. Depending on the veggie you may have wanted to put it in before the rice and let it cook some or cook it some previously. You know they way that you like your vegetables. Will likes his pretty crunchy so we don’t usually cook them too much.
- Serve it up and enjoy!