If you live anywhere near The Pomeroy Life stomping grounds (aka Lexington, KY) chances are your 4th of July festivities suffered a blow from the April like rain we’ve been having. BUT if your Americana spirit hasn’t been dampened and is still lingering on, then satisfy it with this delicious munchie!
How’s the song go? “Baseball, apple pie, and Chevrolet.” Well owning a Chevy is blasphemy in my family of hardcore Ford patrons, BUT baseball is always on in the Pomeroy house. Will’s office is even decorated with Baseball items. Well here is the “apple pie” we ate on the 4th of July.
There aren’t any apples in it, but the flavor of it reminds me of Apple Pie and Apple Crisp. It is a deliciously sweet, cinnamony flavor.
To be honest, this recipe was a total accident! I was trying to make no bake granola bars, but they WOULD NOT firm up; so I just tossed the granola in the oven for a bit, crumbled it up and refilled our granola container. Yes. We have a granola container. I keep homemade granola around because on the weekdays Will either has a homemade toaster strudel or a bowl of homemade granola for breakfast.
You can enjoy this tasty granola as cereal, or over your yogurt, or do what I do and just munch on it!
- ½ cup Butter
- ¾ cup Honey
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 4 ½ cups Quick Cooking Oats
- 1 cup Rice Krispies
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- Grease/spray a cookie sheet or sheet cake pan.
- In a small sauce pan on the stove, mix the butter, brown sugar, and honey. Melt then boil till it reaches “soft ball stage.” Here is a video explaining what that is:
- While that boiling, in a large bowl mix together the oats, rice krispies, and cinnamon.
- Add the vanilla to the honey mixture and then pour over the oats. Mix well.
- Pour the mixture onto the prepared pan. Press the mixture down as if you were trying to make one huge granola bar. This will help your granola have some chunks to it.
- Let the granola sit pressed into the pan while the oven preheats to 350.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Once it is cool crumble it apart. And store it in a sealed container.
- Put it in a bowl and enjoy!