Eating gluten-free, vegan, and refined-sugar free is pretty challenging when it comes to baked goods. I mean, if you want to eat rice and beans, soups and stir-fries then you’re golden, but when that hankering for coffee cake or a chocolate chip cookie comes knocking…. Good luck.
I am plagued with a very outgoing sweet tooth. It talks to me all of the time. Telling me it’s hungry, that it wants to go out for ice cream or make some cookies or cobbler.
A couple of weeks ago I found a solution. I made this absolutely addicting cake. Seriously, make this sucker and see if you can stop yourself from sneaking a second slice here and an extra nibble there. You will lick up every last crumb of this moist, flavorful goodness. It’s like cornbread and banana bread had a sweet baby that you can eat at any time of the day.
Cornbread Banana Cake
based off of this recipe.
- 1/2 cup Sorghum Flour
- 1/4 cup Oat Flour
- 1/2 cup Tapioca/Corn/Potato Starch (pick one)
- 1/2 cup Cornmeal
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 3/4 cup Coconut Milk (or other milk)
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar or Lemon Juice
- (or if you can have dairy just use ¾ – 1 cup of Buttermilk)
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 2 large, ripe Bananas, mashed (pick one)
- 1/3 cup Applesauce
- 1/3 cup melted Margarine/Butter/Oil
- ½ cup Oats
- ¾ cup Almond meal/flour
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ tsp cloves
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 3 tbsp butter
Peanut Butter Sauce: (optional)
- 1 tbsp Peanut Butter
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon
- Sweetener to taste (optional)
- 1 tsp – 1 tbsp milk of choice
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease an 8-inch spring form pan.
- In a small bowl or cup, combine the milk and apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. Let that sit for 5-10 minutes to curdle the milk into a buttermilk-ish mixture. It will not look appetizing, but it works.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients listed for the cake. Add vanilla, maple syrup, applesauce and melted butter to the dry ingredients and stir. Lastly add the banana and the milk mixture and mix well
- Now place all the crumb mixture ingredients in a medium bowl and cut together using a pastry cutter until fully incorporated.
- Pour half to two thirds of the cake batter into the greased pan. Top with half the crumb mixture. Pour remaining batter over the top, gently smooth out with a spatula, and top with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until the top is golden brown and the middle is cooked through.
- Allow to cool, remove the outside of the spring form pan, slice and enjoy!
- You can eat it plain as a sweet and savory breakfast cake. Or you can make a little bit of peanut butter sauce to drizzle over your cake. To make the sauce get your peanut butter melty, and mix in your cinnamon, sweetener (if you want it), and milk. Add the milk slowly till you get you sauce the consistency that you want it. Drizzle it over your slice of cake, eat, and lick the plate.