All this to say that I adore breakfast! Will not so much. UNLESS it’s my pancakes or “The Home Depot Man Breakfast.”
The Home Depot Man Breakfast is what we are going to talk about today. It’s just a skillet breakfast that has been affectionately renamed because Will asks for it before literally every long, busy Saturday shift. This breakfast is savory, delicious, sticks to your ribs for a while, and is extremely versatile.
You can make it in 15 minutes easily. You can make it even quicker than that if you happen to have a bunch of chapped veggies in the fridge already. OR if you want to take your time then it can easily take you half hour or more if you just want to chat and sip your coffee while making brunch and enjoying the smell of bacon/sausage filling your kitchen… Who doesn’t want to enjoy that!
If you are in a pinch, but still want a protein & veggie loaded breakfast you can cut some corner by microwaving the chopped potatoes for a few minutes and then while the potatoes and veggies are sautéing microwave the sausage/bacon then crumble it and add it to the mix.
Like I said very versatile dish that can be made to your tastes. I like it best with sweet potatoes, mushrooms, onions, sausage, cilantro, and some cumin (that’s the secret ingredient in that combo). But my hard working Home Depot man prefers regular potatoes, onions, peppers, jalapenos, hot sauce and cheese. Most of the time what we have on hand allows us to compromise and have normal potatoes, mushrooms, onions, peppers, jalapenos, and sometimes cilantro. We use either bacon or sausage, whichever I bought at the store that week.
Give this a try this weekend… or tonight for dinner!
The Home Depot Man Breakfast
this versatile skillet breakfast is sure to please everyone and hold you over for quite a while.
- 1-2 small red potatoes or you can use ½ a large sweet potato or a small normal potato
- ½ a small-medium onion
- ⅓ of a large Bell pepper
- 4 mushrooms
- ¼ jalapeno (optional)
- 3 sausage links/patties or pieces of bacon
- 2 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon cumin (optional)
- shredded cheese
- cilantro (optional topping)
- Hot Sauce (optional topping)
- While the bacon/sausage cooks in the skillet dice all of the vegetables. (If you are in a hurry see my paragraph above about how to do this more quickly)
- Remove the meat from the skillet and dump out any excess grease save some for frying the potatoes and sauteing the veggies. (you won’t have much if you go the sausage route). Once the meat is cool enough, tear or cut it into bite sized pieces.
- If you didn’t choose to microwave your potatoes first then you will need to add them into the skillet with the leftover grease. If you used sausage you might actually need to add some oil. let the potatoes cook for a few till they begin to turn a little golden and then add the rest of your veggies. If you are using cumin or black pepper or any spice add it now.
- Once your vegetables have reached your desired tenderness, add in your meat pieces, push it all to one side of the skillet, beat your eggs and add them to the empty side of the skillet. (see a photo of this below)
- When the eggs are about half way cooked begin mixing everything together.
- When the eggs are cooked through top with chopped cilantro, shredded cheese, and hot sauce.
- serve, devour, and have a great day!